Cutting, or self-injury is sadness/depression turned inward. It is the inability to process the emotions that are going on, and cutting oneself becomes an outlet to release inward pain.
Cutting most often occurs in teens between the ages of 12-14 years of age. 1 out of 5 teens, according to Psychology Today, report that they have cut themselves, burned themselves, or deliberately injured themselves. One of the myths is that people who cut are suicidal. This is, however, far from the truth as most people who cut seek to feel alive as opposed to numb.
- Self-mutilation (Cutting)
- Burning Oneself
- Carving Wounds or Symbols Into One’s Skin
- Painful Hair-Pulling
- Banging One’s Head Against the Wall
So What Causes People To Do This?
Most people who cut inflict harm on themselves are looking to release emotional pain in the physical. People who engage in cutting behaviour often are suffering from low self-esteem, and are often their harshest critic. They may be the victims of bullying, and engage in negative self-talk. Some also cut because they grew up in an environment that was abusive in some form, and displays of emotion were seen as unacceptable. They were taught to hold their emotions in, and the only way they attain that release is through cutting themselves.
Michelle Danko will delve further into why people cut themselves, and what parents can do if they suspect their children are engaging in cutting behaviour. We will teach parents the signs to look out for, and how to best help your child overcome this harmful issue.
This topic and many more in our upcoming issue of Faith Filled Family Magazine. Our next issue will be released on Monday, August 27, 2018 on our website, across social media, through our free subscription and text.
- Christian Values: Did Society Uphold Or Erode Them? - July 31, 2019
- Kendrick Brothers Launch Another Stellar Movie - July 24, 2019
- Healthy or Sick:What’s Your Relationship Temperature? - July 16, 2019
- How Do You Overcome The Hesitation About Salvation? - July 12, 2019
- Children Reunited With Family After Homeschool Ruling - July 3, 2019
- Students Punished For Objecting To Participate In LGBT Lesson - July 2, 2019
- 1 Thing May Be Preventing Your Success - June 28, 2019
- Hurting, Abandoned, Rejected and Alone: Where Is God? - June 13, 2019
- Hey, Believer! Bold Enough To Share The Gospel? - June 5, 2019
- Warring Over A Worrying Demon- And Winning! - June 5, 2019