The National Day of Prayer was created in 1952 via a joint resolutions of Congress, and signed by President Harry S. Truman. President Ronald Reagan signed the amended law into existence in 1988, and designated the first Thursday of May as a day of national, unified prayer. Annually, millions of Americans attend thousands of meetings across the U.S. to unite in public prayer over America.
Recently, Dr. Ronnie Floyd was selected as President for the National Day of Prayer. Dr. Floyd is the senior pastor of Cross Church, and the past president of the Southern Baptist Convention. His responsibilities with the National Day of Prayer are to mobilize millions of Americans to united public prayer.
Faith Filled Family Magazine sat down with Dr. Floyd and discussed the future of the National Day of Prayer. Dr. Floyd detailed what goes into the event, and that it truly is a year-round project as so many details go into making it a special day of prayer. Additionally, it was recently revealed that this year’s theme will be, “Prayer for Unity in America”. The theme is anchored to Ephesians 4:3, which states, ” Making every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.” The next National Day of Prayer will be held on Thursday, May 3, 2018.
“The mass shootings that have rocked Las Vegas and recently Sutherland Springs, Texas, the terrorist attack that killed eight people in Manhattan, the natural disasters that have swept from the East to the West Coasts, the escalating racial tensions and confrontations in our cities and the political division and polarization that has divided the nation beyond anything any of us has ever seen all tell us that America is yearning for peace and unity,” commented Dr. Floyd.
“The spirit of the age appears to be ruling in this hour. America needs God now more than any time in our history,” Dr. Floyd said. “And there’s no higher calling for the church in America than to be the unifying force our fractured society so desperately needs.”
Dr. Ronnie Floyd shares the heart and vision for the organization in our interview with him, and his passions on the topic of spiritual awakening are revealed.
- Hurting, Abandoned, Rejected and Alone: Where Is God? - June 13, 2019
- Hey, Believer! Bold Enough To Share The Gospel? - June 5, 2019
- Warring Over A Worrying Demon- And Winning! - June 5, 2019
- You May Be Stolen From, And Not Even Recognize It! - May 22, 2019
- Save Chick-fil-A Bill Passes Texas House - May 22, 2019
- Funston Helps Moms With 3 Steps To Wholeness - May 20, 2019
- Peer Raising: Have We Lost Our Kids To Their Friends? - May 17, 2019
- 4 Methods God Uses To Correct You… But Lovingly. - May 15, 2019
- Senate Revives Controversial Save Chick-fil-A Bill - May 14, 2019
- How Does An Angel Like Satan Suddenly Turn Evil? - May 8, 2019