A recent report from Europe may be opening the door for “designer babies”.
The report encourages parents to alter DNA in fetuses if it was in the fetuses best future interest, and did not add to inequalities that already divide society. But what does this mean, and where do you draw the line?
Karen Young, who is the chair of the Nuffield working group and professor of law. this, and informatics at the University of Birmingham voiced her opinion (according to CBN.com) on the ethics of the matter.
“It is our view that genome editing is not morally unacceptable in itself.”
Additionally, she told The Guardian, “There is no reason to rule it out in principle.”
This change does not call for the UK law to permit genetically modified babies, but urges research into the safety of the approach, impact on society, and the debate of implicating such a procedure.
To date, altering of genetics is widely controversial. Most Christians feel that it is modifying God’s design for the child, and is simply unethical. They are concerned with the moral implications of modifying “faulty genes” that have been discovered to damage DNA and messing with God’s creation.
Meanwhile others argue that the technology could reduce the number of fetuses/individuals affected by genetic disorders, diseases could be decreased or less impactful, and healthcare would be improved (Jackie Leach Scully, co-author of the report).
- Christian Values: Did Society Uphold Or Erode Them? - July 31, 2019
- Kendrick Brothers Launch Another Stellar Movie - July 24, 2019
- Healthy or Sick:What’s Your Relationship Temperature? - July 16, 2019
- How Do You Overcome The Hesitation About Salvation? - July 12, 2019
- Children Reunited With Family After Homeschool Ruling - July 3, 2019
- Students Punished For Objecting To Participate In LGBT Lesson - July 2, 2019
- 1 Thing May Be Preventing Your Success - June 28, 2019
- Hurting, Abandoned, Rejected and Alone: Where Is God? - June 13, 2019
- Hey, Believer! Bold Enough To Share The Gospel? - June 5, 2019
- Warring Over A Worrying Demon- And Winning! - June 5, 2019