Hillsong United has done it again. Their new album, “PEOPLE”, released April 26, 2019, adds to an impressive 13 live albums put out by this well-known and well-loved Christian band. There’s something wonderful about every song being live… you really feel like a part of the group worshipping the Lord. You can feel the energy in every song, as if the Holy Spirit were present as we all praise Him together.
Tracks On Hillsong United “People”
1. Ready or Not: This song starts out with a soothing piano melody but the energy builds as the song moves along. The lyrics convey a message of urgency in your faith. Whether you’re ready or not, now is the time to come to the Lord, no matter what shape you’re in. Just come. The Lord is ready with open arms. Are you ready? This song shares an important truth that everyone needs to hear:
“He welcomes the broken
He’s alright with your past
He’s not mad at any one of us
But He waits with open arms”
As usual, Hillsong United continues their lyrical genius with lines like: “But He’s wild about the hidden stuff, like He’s wild about the heart.” Doesn’t that line just make you love our Heavenly Father even more? This is a great message for the start of the album.
2. Here’s to the One: This is a catchy song with great guitars. You’ll raise your hands for this one! The song is all about giving Jesus praise for pulling us from darkness and setting us free. He’s wiped away our past and we owe Him everything. What better way to praise Him than to sing, “Here’s to Your name over everything”?
This is a simple song that will be stuck in your head, but that’s a good thing! You’ll be singing His praise all throughout your day after hearing “Here’s to the One”.
3. Might Sound Wild: This song has a fun beat and a fun play on words. The lyrics intertwine musical terminology with the love and hope that come from God. The lyrics show no matter what we’ve done or how often we mess up in life, He still fills us with hope and love.
“We lost the pitch He moved the score
Our wayward notes
His sweet resolve”
It’s an upbeat song that reminds the listener of the hope found in Jesus and how we should sing His praise until the end of time, shouting it louder and louder so He’s glorified.
4. Hold Me Now: This song has a soft start, with Taya Smith’s beautiful voice and an acoustic guitar. It shares how God made our hearts whole again. It’s an important song of hope for the broken and ashamed. Listen to this song and hear about His victory over sin, shame and the grave. It builds as it goes on, growing in energy and praise. Then it quiets as they encourage the audience to lift their hands while they sing.
“Hold Me Now” ends with this amazing message:
“Healed and forgiven
Look where my chains are now
Death has no hold on me
‘Cause Your grace holds that ground
And Your grace holds me now.”
We can all use this simple reminder that death has no hold on us. We are free in Jesus Christ and His grace holds us now.
5. As You Find Me: Where do we even begin with this beautiful song? It features the soulful voice of Tulele Faletolu, along with Taya Smith. It starts by contrasting the two sides inside each of us that fight against each other every day. We’re strong but broken. Faithful, but reckless. Through it all, God never abandons us, no matter which side is winning in any given moment. This gentle song reminds us that we don’t deserve His unending love and grace. There are so many lyrical gems in this song!
“Who am I
To think Your glory needs my praises.”
“You don’t need a single thing
And still You want my heart.”
This song moved something inside me as I listened. I had to take off my glasses to wipe the tears away because it spoke so loudly to my heart. It’s an incredibly moving reminder that we don’t deserve any of the love and grace that He gives us, yet He still gives us all of it, every day. As the song says at the end, “Your love’s too good to leave me here”. I already know this is one of those Hillsong United songs that will move me to tears every time I hear it.
This song is guaranteed to move you as you remember how you received the most amazing gift imaginable while doing nothing to deserve it.
6. Clean: This a soft, simple song. Most of it is sung without accompaniment. It’s just a beautiful voice with a simple reminder that Jesus is the only one to thank for our freedom. This song makes you want to be part of the crowd singing this together, eyes closed, hands open to the Lord. It’s a short song by Hillsong United standards, which is nice between several 6-8 minute songs.
7. Starts and Ends: This song conveys how we all struggle to fight our flesh, but we also all crave to be filled by God. We never have to feel hopeless because we can always rest in Christ. This song reminds us just how personal Jesus’s sacrifice was for each of us, with lines like, “The cross stands for me,” and “His heart broke for me”.
As you sing along, you feel how deeply personal the sacrifice was for you. Then they begin to repeat “Lay your burden down upon him,” several times. You can’t help but feel some weight lifted off your shoulders as you hear that line repeated over and over. It reminds you of Psalm 55:22 – “Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.” They wrap up the song by simply singing, “You’re my every good thing.” Enough said.
8. Highlands (Song of Ascent):This one begins with a peaceful melody but builds to a lively beat. It sings of how God doesn’t change, no matter our circumstances, and we don’t have to look that far to find Him. The lyrics sing directly to our Heavenly Father, praising Him for being right by our side in mountains and valleys, in highlands and heartache. He never changes and never abandons us.
9. Holy Ground:It begins softly, with simple lyrics, and builds to a powerful worship song with easy-to-learn lyrics. This easily leads to eyes-closed singing, shutting out everything but your worship for the Lord. The song repeats over and over how holy God is and how we will wait on Him, like Isaiah 40:31 says, “But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.”
10. Another in the Fire: The message in this song is one of my favorites on the album – you’ll never go through the fire alone. This song praises Jesus for always being right next to us in the fire, with lyrics like:
“And should I ever need reminding
What power set me free
There is a grave that holds no body
And now that power lives in me.”
This song is especially fun to hear live, because you can hear the crowd begin to cheer loudly as they sing, “There is no other name, but the name that is Jesus”. The song ends with counting joy in every battle, because that’s where we find Jesus, right by our side.
11. Good Grace: This song debuted in December of 2018 and set the record as United Hillsong’s highest streaming street week career single. It’s easy to see why it broke records. It’s a song of hope and a reminder of where our help comes from. You can hear the crowd singing along right from the beginning and their excitement grows as the song goes on. This song encourages an entire world of believers to shout praises to Jesus, for He is our redemption ad our salvation. “Good Grace” encourages you to:
“Fix your eyes on this one truth
God is madly in love with you.”
12. Echoes: This is a high-energy song that makes you want to clap your hands and get moving. You can instantly picture yourself singing this at church with the whole congregation. It’s such a celebration of heaven, you can’t help but feel the urge to get up and dance! One of the lyrics, “Let the sleeping world awaken” fits this beat of this song perfectly – it definitely wakes you up. The crowd singing acapella at the end is a wonderful finish. It’s an excellent song to round out this album, with the hope that there’s “a new day on the rise” in this world as everyone wakes up and sings God’s praises.
The entire album conveys a message of unity among believers. Hillsong United is encouraging us all to come together and remember how the amazing gift of salvation came from Jesus Christ’s sacrifice. No matter what is going on in the world around us, Jesus is our constant saving grace.
Along with the release of this album, Hillsong United is returning to the United States for the first time in almost three years for it’s “The People Tour MMXIX”. They’re making 33 stops between now and July 2. I certainly wouldn’t pass up a chance to see them live!