The song, I Can Only Imagine, written by MercyMe lead singer, Bart Millard, has provided God’s hope to many listeners. It is one of those songs that draws the listener close to God, and challenges them to feel God’s love. The lyrics truly envelop you as you completely surrender yourself to His majesty.
The untold story behind these lyrics are that they took a lifetime to create. For Bart Millard, even though he found God at an early age, life was fought with rejection and hardship. Music and an active imagination become an escape from a troubled home life. As Bart became older, he turned to football as a way of connecting with an abusive father. However, an injury ended his career.
Yet through all the darkness, a teacher saw the unlimited potential in Bart, and set him on a musical pathway that he had never imagined.
Bart soon found himself chasing a dream- yet running away from a broken relationship with his father, and his childhood sweetheart, Shannon. Bart begins touring in an old, broken down tour bus with a new found band named, MercyMe. MercyMe was chosen because it was his grandmother’s favourite expression.
Guided by a grizzled music-industry insider, the band enters into an incredible journey beyond imagination.
I Can Only Imagine reminds us of the power of forgiveness, and illustrates that no one is too far from the love of God.
The cast features J. Michael Finley, Madeline Carroll, Trace Adkins, Priscilla Shirer, Dennis Quaid, and Cloris Leachman.
The movie itself was directed by the Jon and Andrew Erwin (October Baby, Mom’s Night Out, and Woodlawn).
Faith Filled Family’s, Vernita Simmons, sat down with director Jon Erwin and not only discussed the heartwarming movie, but what being a Christian director in a secular world is like. It is a warm, open, and honest interview that will completely melt your heart!
Our interview with Jon Erwin and more in our February issue of Faith Filled Family coming out on January 26th!
Don’t want to miss our next issue? Please feel free to sign up for our free magazine and have the latest issue delivered straight to your inbox! Or you can follow us on social media!
- Hurting, Abandoned, Rejected and Alone: Where Is God? - June 13, 2019
- Hey, Believer! Bold Enough To Share The Gospel? - June 5, 2019
- Warring Over A Worrying Demon- And Winning! - June 5, 2019
- You May Be Stolen From, And Not Even Recognize It! - May 22, 2019
- Save Chick-fil-A Bill Passes Texas House - May 22, 2019
- Funston Helps Moms With 3 Steps To Wholeness - May 20, 2019
- Peer Raising: Have We Lost Our Kids To Their Friends? - May 17, 2019
- 4 Methods God Uses To Correct You… But Lovingly. - May 15, 2019
- Senate Revives Controversial Save Chick-fil-A Bill - May 14, 2019
- How Does An Angel Like Satan Suddenly Turn Evil? - May 8, 2019