Lolli and Pop Find Kindness
Written by Carolyn Snelling
Genre: Children’s Book
Published By Carpenter’s Son Publishing
Lolli and Pop Find Kindness is a part of a series called the fruit of the Spirit books. Each book in this series teaches children about an aspect of the fruit of the Spirit referenced in Galatians 5: 22-23.
Lolli and Pop Find Kindness is a charming book about a young girl who learns through a series of events about kindness. Even though she realizes that kindness- to her- may not always be easy, nor is it necessarily something she wants to do, Lolli learns that it is the right thing to do.
The book, which is the first in the series, opens with Lolli receiving a dog that her father brought home from a client whose son was allergic to him. The family initially names him, Prince, but due to an amusing error, ends up calling him Pop leading Lolli to believe that they were meant to be together.
Lolli’s world gets turned upside down when her father, too, begins sneezing and they don’t know the cause. Will Lolli have to give up Pop?
I loved the book! It was such a cute children’s book, and I loved the idea that my kids were being taught about the fruit of the Spirit at their level. The plot was clear and concise making it easy for young children to grasp the idea of kindness.
The message wasn’t complicated, but it explained a reality very well- that doing the right thing isn’t always what we may want to do, but it’s the right thing to do. It teaches children to consider the well-being of others before our own wants- not at their expense.
There is a segment wherein Lolli prays to God that they are able to keep Pop even though it makes her father sneeze, and Lolli’s mom responds that her prayer is unkind. Her mother says that if the puppy makes her dad sneeze, then the kind thing to do is to give him away. Some parents may think, “Well, why don’t they pray that God would heal the father if he is indeed allergic to the dog? After all, God heals.” However, by doing so, it would take away from the message that even though Lolli is attached to Pop, the kind thing to do would be to give him away. It shows children how to also be selfless in their actions.
If they had prayed for healing, it would have detracted from the message.
I would highly recommend this book for young children. The illustrations are bright and cheerful, and the message couldn’t have had a better delivery. They will be entertained, and best of all, they will receive a message from God that will strengthen their character.
- Christian Values: Did Society Uphold Or Erode Them? - July 31, 2019
- Kendrick Brothers Launch Another Stellar Movie - July 24, 2019
- Healthy or Sick:What’s Your Relationship Temperature? - July 16, 2019
- How Do You Overcome The Hesitation About Salvation? - July 12, 2019
- Children Reunited With Family After Homeschool Ruling - July 3, 2019
- Students Punished For Objecting To Participate In LGBT Lesson - July 2, 2019
- 1 Thing May Be Preventing Your Success - June 28, 2019
- Hurting, Abandoned, Rejected and Alone: Where Is God? - June 13, 2019
- Hey, Believer! Bold Enough To Share The Gospel? - June 5, 2019
- Warring Over A Worrying Demon- And Winning! - June 5, 2019