Director Rob Marshall Certainly Hopes So!
Rob Marshall, who directed Disney’s film, Mary Poppins Returns last year hopes that there will be a gay rights theme in the future film.
Why A Gay Rights Angle In Mary Poppins 3?
Rob Marshall, who is gay, directed the 2018 film which grossed $171 million. Disney so far has not announced a Mary Poppins 3, but Marshall informed Advocate.com that he would indeed support it having a gay rights angle. Daniel Reynolds who works for Advocate.com commented that the women in the first two films “fight for causes”, and in the 2018 film, Jane Banks is employed as a union organizer.
Marshall tells Advocate in an interview, “Wouldn’t that be great? Please, Lord. That’s exactly what should be happening. I’m always so aware of that, being a gay man myself. I mean, our movie takes place in the ’30s.
“But if it were to take place now, that’s exactly what it should be. I understand so deeply what it’s like to be on the outskirts and not feel like you are worthy. And I will say that kind of passion to explore acceptance in life is something that’s so important. And so, yes, I’d be all for that, for sure,” he said.
When Marshall was asked if he saw today’s youth advocating for causes such as gay and LGBTQ rights, Marshall commented that he would support it.
In the previous year, Marshall indicated that a third movie was possible noting that there are eight P.L. Travers books available. The first film is focused on the first book incorporating some pieces from other ones. His film picked up on Mary Poppins Comes Back and worked from Mary Poppins Opens the Door, and Mary Poppins In The Park.
- Christian Values: Did Society Uphold Or Erode Them? - July 31, 2019
- Kendrick Brothers Launch Another Stellar Movie - July 24, 2019
- Healthy or Sick:What’s Your Relationship Temperature? - July 16, 2019
- How Do You Overcome The Hesitation About Salvation? - July 12, 2019
- Children Reunited With Family After Homeschool Ruling - July 3, 2019
- Students Punished For Objecting To Participate In LGBT Lesson - July 2, 2019
- 1 Thing May Be Preventing Your Success - June 28, 2019
- Hurting, Abandoned, Rejected and Alone: Where Is God? - June 13, 2019
- Hey, Believer! Bold Enough To Share The Gospel? - June 5, 2019
- Warring Over A Worrying Demon- And Winning! - June 5, 2019