We hear about bullying all the time, whether it is in schools or online. We try to protect our children’s self-esteem as best as we can, and their pain hurts to watch. There sometimes is a sense of helplessness as a parent as you want to step in and instinctively protect your “baby”. However, that isn’t always the correct answer. Bullies come in all shapes and sizes. They are not limited to age, and at some point, we need to learn how to deal with the situation.
Bullying is hard for the average child, but can be really devastating for someone with special needs. Children bully these kids because they are different, or they associate a learning disability as a lack of intelligence. They get picked on because others view putting them down as “easy”. Children mock what is perceived as different instead of understanding or showing compassion. Special needs kids are children, and just like other kids, deserve to be treated with respect.
Bullying can really torment a special needs child who just wants to be accepted. Kids with a learning disability get labeled as “dumb” or inadequate because they have to take different classes to deal with the disability. Likewise, children with Down Syndrome, Autism, Spina Bifida, Tourettes, etc. receive the same label. If it goes unaddressed, many children begin to believe the taunts, and the labels become part of their identity.
As parents, we can rip off those labels that others put on them- it’s never too late to tell them how special they are! Toni Troxell will teach you how to give your child hope for the future despite those speaking negative words over them. She will teach you how to make them KNOW they are special, that God made them special, and who God says they are. Once they grasp these concepts, then what others say doesn’t matter. They become confident in knowing that they can do anything God has called them to do.
Our next issue comes out April 26, 2017!
- Healthy or Sick:What’s Your Relationship Temperature? - July 16, 2019
- How Do You Overcome The Hesitation About Salvation? - July 12, 2019
- Children Reunited With Family After Homeschool Ruling - July 3, 2019
- Students Punished For Objecting To Participate In LGBT Lesson - July 2, 2019
- 1 Thing May Be Preventing Your Success - June 28, 2019
- Hurting, Abandoned, Rejected and Alone: Where Is God? - June 13, 2019
- Hey, Believer! Bold Enough To Share The Gospel? - June 5, 2019
- Warring Over A Worrying Demon- And Winning! - June 5, 2019
- You May Be Stolen From, And Not Even Recognize It! - May 22, 2019
- Save Chick-fil-A Bill Passes Texas House - May 22, 2019