The “Save Chick-fil-A” bill, also known as SB 1978, would prevent government from targeting religious businesses for their donations to religious organizations. The bill passed Texas state House on Monday, and appears to be set to become law.
The History Behind The Save Chick-fil-A Bill
“Save Chick-fil-A bill” gained momentum in legislature after San Antonio’s City Council voted 6-4 in March to exclude Chick-fil-A from opening a restaurant at an airport. This decision was based on the company’s history of donating to the Salvation Army and Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Chick-fil-A came under criticism from Think Progress claiming that they had a history of anti-LGBT discrimination.
Thankfully, this bill will now prevent this type of incident from happening.
“A governmental entity may not take any adverse action against any person based wholly or partly on the person’s membership in, affiliation with, or contribution, donation, or other support provided to a religious organization,” the bill’s text says.
The bill passed the House after originally being denied to not following procedure in a vote of 79-62. It only needs to clean minor hurdles prior to being submitted to the desk of Republican Governor, Greg Abbott.
“What we want to make sure is if you donate to the Salvation Army, you won’t be labeled as a bigoted,” said GOP Representative, Matt Krause, the bill’s sponsor, says The Dallas Morning News.
Democratic Representative, Mary Gonzalez, an openly LGBT member, urged the opposition to this bill, citing that they can’t discriminate against LGBT members in order to protect religious businesses. She also claimed that the bill would be used to “perpetuate hate”.
“No Texas business or individual should ever be punished for practicing their faith,” Texas Values commented on their website.
- Christian Values: Did Society Uphold Or Erode Them? - July 31, 2019
- Kendrick Brothers Launch Another Stellar Movie - July 24, 2019
- Healthy or Sick:What’s Your Relationship Temperature? - July 16, 2019
- How Do You Overcome The Hesitation About Salvation? - July 12, 2019
- Children Reunited With Family After Homeschool Ruling - July 3, 2019
- Students Punished For Objecting To Participate In LGBT Lesson - July 2, 2019
- 1 Thing May Be Preventing Your Success - June 28, 2019
- Hurting, Abandoned, Rejected and Alone: Where Is God? - June 13, 2019
- Hey, Believer! Bold Enough To Share The Gospel? - June 5, 2019
- Warring Over A Worrying Demon- And Winning! - June 5, 2019