Suicide… What leads people to take their own life? There are no easy, nor definitive answers to this topic. There is no formula to why people decide to take their own life as we cannot possibly know what thoughts go on in a person’s head at any given moment.
Some people commit suicide who appear to be depressed- which is usually a tell-tale sign that someone may be considering suicide. However, just because a person is depressed or sad does not indicate that they will take their own life. It just makes it a higher possibility. Many people who appear to be happy and have everything going for them commit suicide, and suicide has no boundaries- it effects everyone equally. The real deciding factors on whether or not someone ends up taking their own life is:
- Their own internal dialogue- What they say to themselves, and their belief system. Are they secure in who they are in Christ? Do they have an identity? Are they under pressure? Do they internalize comments? These all effect what we say to ourselves.
- Their ability to cope with changes and circumstances- Faith and the belief in Christ enable us to cope with situations because we have hope of a better future. We are encouraged. Without faith, we lose all hope. Everything is painted with the same brush of doom with very little chance for relief. A sense of hopelessness and helplessness envelops the person.
- Their support system- Family and friends play an important role in our lives. Without support, people tend to feel isolated and alone. They are facing their situation without encouragement. It’s easier in this situation to say that the world is better off without them in it. And sadly, no one is there to object!
Brenda Stapleton will discuss in detail what causes someone to commit suicide, and what signs you should watch out for. She also gives advice on what people can do if someone they know is suspected of committing suicide. Additionally, she will discuss what the Bible has to say on the subject.
If you know of someone who is suicidal, or if you are feeling suicidal, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will reach out to you, and pray over you. You are never alone… someone is always there even if it is a stranger.
Brenda’s topic on suicide and more in our next issue of Faith Filled Family Magazine coming out on August 27, 2018!
- Grudge Match: When Fighting Overrides Forgiveness - March 27, 2019
- Suicide: What Causes Christians To Take Their Own Life? - August 15, 2018
- Learning to Love the Sinner I Used to Be - January 30, 2017
- Graduation Statistics Rise While Low-Income Families Linger Behind - January 10, 2016
- Jennifer Ball’s “Here” Contrasts Alive and Far From Christ Relationships - December 9, 2015
- Hollywood Weighs in on Christmas Beginning with Starbucks - December 1, 2015
- Understanding the Muslim Faith and ISIS - November 21, 2015
- Threats From ISIS are Real Mister President - November 18, 2015
- Soul Searching Causes Longing for the Father - November 7, 2015
- Seek Understanding with Truth Not Perspectives - October 26, 2015