A federal appeals court protected religion yesterday by rejecting an attempt to remove “In God We Trust” from United States currency. New Doe Child #1 v. The Congress of the United States is atheist Dr. Michael Newdow’s recent case lost in an attempt to remove any mention of God in government. The Eighth Circuit’s decision was its adoption of Becket’s argument that under a 2014 Supreme Court case, all Establishment Clause rulings must align with United States history on religion in public square.
The court discovered that in the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2014 decision in the Town of Greece v. Galloway it gave the following instruction: “[T]he Establishment Clause must be interpreted by reference to historical practices and understandings.”
In this case, the court saw that Galloway was, according to LifeSite news, “‘a major doctrinal shift’ in Establishment Clause jurisprudence.”
If the court ruling would have over-ridden past case law, it would have threatened the government’s acknowledgement of various religions- including that United States National motto.
Newdow’s recent string of lawsuits have apparently been fuelled by what is dubbed, “the Lemon test”, which is a legal test which disregards what the Founding Fathers considered to be establishment of religion, and invites activists which are opposed to religion to file lawsuits against any semblance of God- no matter how minute. The Supreme Courts decision in the Galloway case rejected the Lemon test, and instead used a more objective evaluation of national history.
The lower courts, however, are still using the Lemon test, and have allowed Newdow to state that “In God We Trust” violates his rights as an atheist.
- Christian Values: Did Society Uphold Or Erode Them? - July 31, 2019
- Kendrick Brothers Launch Another Stellar Movie - July 24, 2019
- Healthy or Sick:What’s Your Relationship Temperature? - July 16, 2019
- How Do You Overcome The Hesitation About Salvation? - July 12, 2019
- Children Reunited With Family After Homeschool Ruling - July 3, 2019
- Students Punished For Objecting To Participate In LGBT Lesson - July 2, 2019
- 1 Thing May Be Preventing Your Success - June 28, 2019
- Hurting, Abandoned, Rejected and Alone: Where Is God? - June 13, 2019
- Hey, Believer! Bold Enough To Share The Gospel? - June 5, 2019
- Warring Over A Worrying Demon- And Winning! - June 5, 2019